Living with chronic pain can be incredibly difficult. Relying on prescription pain medication can be problematic on a number of levels, and the constant pain you are experiencing can wreak havoc with your sleep and your emotional and mental well-being. It’s natural to wish there were a healthy and natural alternative to help relieve your pain without a prescription – and there is.
Back Pain and Painkillers
If you have a bad back or chronic joint pain as a result of arthritis or injury, chances are good that you have visited your doctor. In all probability, her recommendation was that you take pain medication, which she then prescribed to you. You take it faithfully, but somehow you still don’t feel good. Common side effects if long-term use of pain medications can include:
- Difficulty concentrating or thinking clearly. Pain medications can make you feel sleepy, and give your brain that fuzzy, out-of-focus feeling. They may help to alleviate the pain, but they’re not doing you any favors in the mental clarity department.
- Constipation or other digestive problems. Pain medications can really stop you up when it comes to your bowel movements. Long-term use can lead to serious and painful constipation and even to impacted bowel movements, which may require surgical intervention.
- Diminished effectiveness. When you use the same medication over a long period of time, your body becomes accustomed to it and requires a higher dosage to get the same effect. This can lead to worsening of the other associated side effects.
- Risk of addiction. For some people, long-term use of prescription pain medication can cause a physical dependency that can be extremely painful and difficult to shake.
It is easy to see why some people are reluctant to take prescription pain medications – yet when you are in chronic pain, what other choice do you have? When it comes to back and joint pain, it turns out you do have one very simple, inexpensive, and natural remedy that you can make with just one trip to the grocery store.
Back Pain and Gelatin
Gelatin is an animal product made by boiling the connective tissues (skin, ligaments, tendons and bones) of cows or pigs. This is a process that extracts collagen. Collagen is the single most abundant protein in the human body. It helps your body to perform many essential functions, including:
- Giving your skin its elasticity and strength
- Strengthens joints and heart muscles
- Improves metabolism
- Helps to prevent arthritis and osteoporosis
- Improves mental function
- Increases the strength and health of your hair and nails
- Improves the elasticity of your tendons
In other words, collagen is a powerhouse. It can work wonders in your body – and while your body makes it, when you have back pain or other chronic pain, what your body makes may not be enough.
Gelatin contains two essential amino acids, proline and hidrosiprolin, both of which help connective tissue bounce back from damage, such as that caused by injury or disease. It can also help to stimulate growth of additional connective tissues in the body. Osteoarthritis is caused by a damage to the connective tissues in your joints. Back injuries may also be caused by damage to the connective tissues. In other words, gelatin has the potential to get right at the root causes of your chronic pain.
The Remedy for Back Pain
By now you are most likely wondering how all of this comes together. How can you use gelatin to rid yourself of back and joint pain in 7 days? Is that really possible?
To get started, simply make a quick trip to the grocery store to buy some plain gelatin. Gelatin is typically available in both powder forms, and as clear sheets. For the purposes of this treatment, make sure to get the powdered form. For one month of treatment, you will need 150 grams of powdered gelatin – about 5 ½ ounces.
To make the treatment, simply mix two level teaspoons of gelatin with ¼ cup of cold water before you go to bed. Make sure to use icy cold water from the refrigerator, not tap water. Let it sit outside the refrigerator overnight. By morning, the gelatin will have absorbed all of the water and turned into a thick jelly.
When you get up in the morning, simply drink the mixture on an empty stomach. It won’t have much flavor at all, but if the taste or texture bother you, you can mix it with other things to help it go down more easily. For example, you might try diluting it with juice or water, or mixing the jelly into some yogurt. Make sure to consume all of it. Repeat this remedy daily, and after a week you should notice that your pain has gone away.
While you will feel relief after one week, it is important to continue doing the remedy for a full month. You can then repeat it again after six months, or if your pain comes back. It is also important to eat a healthy diet. In particular, try to cut back on processed foods and eat more whole and natural foods. Highly-processed foods contain ingredients that contribute to inflammation. Some common culprits include:
- Remember that sugar can hide under many different names on food labels. Sucrose, fructose, maltose, lactose and dextrose are all sugars.
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG.) While most people associate MSG with Asian food, it is commonly used as a flavor enhancer and is known to cause inflammation.
- Trans fats. Trans fats are highly inflammatory. Any partially hydrogenated fat is a trans fats. Partially hydrogenated fats are fats that are solid at room temperature – vegetable shortening, partially-hydrogenated palm oil, etc.
- Soy, wheat and dairy. These foods are not inflammatory to everyone, but it is worth some trial-and-error to see if they are a problem for you.
Eating gelatin will help to keep your joints well-lubricated, and assist your body in repairing damage and building new and healthy connective tissues – and all without taking harmful chemicals.