Every man wants to feel that his sperm has the maximum fertility possible, especially when he is trying to conceive a baby. Having difficulty conceiving a child is one of the most stressful and emotionally upsetting things a couple can face. You both want a baby, but for some reason it is not proving to be as easy as you thought.
You will of course want to get tested by your doctor if you have been trying to conceive for a while. Whether you know you have a problem with sperm motility or low sperm count, or whether you are just beginning your attempts to conceive and want to make sure you are doing everything you can to ensure your success, there are herbal remedies you can use to increase the chances that you will conceive a baby.
Fertility and Your Sperm
If you’re like most men, you don’t give sperm production very much thought. Your body makes sperm naturally, and you ejaculate it regularly during masturbation or sex. Until you decided to try to have a baby, you probably never considered the general healthy and motility of your sperm.
Sperm is produced in the testicles at a rate of about 12 billion per month. They are stored in area called the epididymis until they are mature. When sexual arousal begins, the sperm travel from the epididymis to the vas deferens, where they are then propelled through the urethra. Along the way they mix with other fluids, including seminal fluid and prostatic fluid. These three things together form semen, which is the ejaculated during orgasm.
Each ejaculation includes approximately 300 million sperm, of which it is reasonable to expect approximately 200 will get close enough to your partner’s egg to potentially fertilize it. The odds are infinitesimally small that any one sperm will be the one to fertilize an egg and conceive a child.
There are various health issues that can make sperm less effective. For example, low sperm count is when the body is not producing as much sperm as it normally would. That means the density of sperm in the ejaculate may be lower than normal, which then proportionally decreases the number of sperm that reach the egg. Some of the causes of low sperm count include:
- Varicocele – a swelling of the veins around the testicles
- Infection – some sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, may adversely affect sperm production
- Retrograde ejaculation – in some cases, ejaculate travels backward into the bladder instead of up through the penis
- Undescended testicle(s)
- Hormonal imbalances
- Exposure to chemicals or heavy metals
- Overheating of the testicles
- Drug and alcohol use
- Emotional stress
As you can see, there are a number of factors that may contribute to decreased fertility in men.
Herbs to Increase Your Sperm Fertility
The good news is that there are a number of herbs you can take that will increase the fertility of your sperm and make it more likely that you will conceive a baby. Let’s take a look:
These herbs can all help increase the fertility of your sperm and make it more likely that you will conceive a child. However, it is also important to look out for your overall healthy. Smoking and drinking heavily can make it more difficult to conceive, so try to quit or cut back. It may also help to do other things:
- Lose weight. Overweight men have lower sperm counts than men who are at a healthy weight
- Eat healthy. Cut back on processed foods and eat healthy whole foods that are rich in antioxidants and other important micronutrients.
- Get enough sleep. Being overtired means that your body is taxed, and that may affect your sperm production.
- Getting some physical activity every day will help keep your circulation working the way it should and improve your overall healthy.
- Reduce stress. Stress can have a huge impact on fertility, so even if you are very eager to conceive try to find ways to minimize your stress about it.
You may find that some of these remedies work better for you than others, so try them out and if one doesn’t get you the results you want, move on to the next one.